Spring clean your skincare
Now that we seem to have a little time on our hands, its the perfect opportunity to spring clean your skincare.
Here are our five top tips on how to:
1. Remove everything
Start by cleaning out the cabinet, remove everything and give the cabinet a good wipe down.
2. Review your products - what you keep and what your toss
Review the expiry dates of your products, sometimes there is no expiry date but there always should be a period after opening number which tells you how long the product is good after it’s been opened (the little jar symbol on the back or base). If it's expired, changed colour, texture or scent then toss it.
As a general rule, products with active ingredients like Vitamin C, Retinol or plant extracts have a shorter shelf life, while your fundamentals with fewer actives like cleansers or toners last longer.
Generally, here is how long your skincare will be good for after opening:
- Cleansers and Exfoliating cleansers: 1- 1 1/2 years
- Toners: 1-2 years
- Exfoliating serums or toners - 6 months – 1 year
- Serums: 6 months
- Facial oils (without actives): 1-2 years
- Facial oils (with actives): 6 months – 1 year
- Moisturisers: 6 months – 1 year
- Eye creams: 6 months – 1 year
- SPFs: 1 year
- Face masks: 6 months – 1 year
You may also have some skincare that you just don’t use or that you’ve used, had a breakout and didn’t use again. Be honest with yourself about these products:
- Do you still want them or will they sit around until they have expired?
- Is there someone else that might benefit from them?
- Can you figure out a way to give them another go and incorporate them into your routine?
3. Reduce the size
Once you have whittled down your collection, review how much of each product you have. For those products where there isn’t much left, can you put them into smaller containers?
Give your products a clean to make them look nice and appealing to use.
Then go about rearranging the products, separate our your weekly from daily use products and organise them in terms of your routine – cleanse, exfoliate, treat, hydrate and spf.